Wednesday, November 19, 2008

18 Months Old and Making a Stink. . .

Would you like a smoothie?


We use only the BEST and FRESHEST ingredients in our smoothies. They are taste tested by our certified, trained employees.



Each batch is carefully inspected for quality assurance.



And our fruit is all hand picked. . .





Mmmmmmm :)





OK, so I do not have photos of Hannah's 18 month pediatrician appointment, but I had to include something with photos. . .so I included the smoothie photos instead :) Now onto the real subject of this blog entry. . .




So, Hannah had her 18 month appointment the other day and it was a blast! Literally!
Well, it started off well. As I was in the middle of successfully trying to keep her from touching the germ farm, er. . .um. . .toys in the waiting room, when she suddenly squatted as if to pause for a short intermission. I know better. But before I had a chance to check out what kind of surprises she might have seposited in her diaper during the intermission, her name was called by the nurse. OH NO! Panic set in as I suddenly realized her diaper bag was in the car waaaaaay outside, what felt like MILES from where I stood at the moment. I was wondering if I should make a run for it and risk losing my place in line, or go into the exam room and hope for the best. . .Silly girl that I am, I chose the latter. I prayed I was wrong and hoped she was just practicing her new catching position in anticipation of playing softball in the future . . . Sure, THAT's it!


We entered the exam room and I started to undress Hannah per the nurse's request. UH OH! There was no mistaking the present Hannah left in her diaper! AAAAAAHHHH!!!! Panic again! I told the nurse I had diapers and wipes in the car, but she reassured me they had spare diapers and wipes I could use. Phew! So I started taking Hannah's diaper off, and the nurse pulled out those tiny, flimsy, thin, INDIVIDUALLY wrapped wipes that you use before a urine test (unscented and hypoallergenic of course). . .ummmm. . .does she have kids? Doesn't she realize you need wipes that border on industrial strength towels and one of those car buffing machines that spins around a hundred miles an hour to clean a poopy diaper??? How in the world was I going to wrestle this mess with THOSE teensy tiny towelettes???? It would be like spilling a bowl of oatmeal all over the floor and then having someone hand you a box of individually wrapped Q-tips to clean it up! Sure, technically a few thousand Q-tips will eventually absorb amd wipe up the mess. . .but that would take a million years! But since I had already commenced the process, I dove head first into the challenge (figurtively, not literally of course. . .eeeewwww!), determined to finish the task in warp speed. Meanwhile, the nurse stood in the corner watching me. . .probably snickering about what a GREAT MOM I am! Dopey lady doesn't even bother to bring her daughter's necessities to the appointment? Sheesh!

So there I was, unwrapping each and every tiny little packet, and trying to unfold the towels without ripping them. I swear they were practically disintegrating in my fingers as I unfolded each of them! HELP!!! I NEED BACKUP! Not to worry, Hannah was willing to help as usual. . .by rolling back and forth and trying to break free of my hold while grabbing for all the wipes and wrappers! Ugh.

To make this long story short (too late?) I did eventually get her bottom clean :) YAY ME!!!Nobody would ever guess what a project it was except for the mountain of wipes and wrappers I left behind as evidence. The nurse was nice enough to dispose of the evidence of my incompetence as a mother before the doctor came into the room. Nobody will ever have to know what happened in that room :)

The rest of the appointment went well. Hannah loves her pediatrician :) But the nurse with the needle??? Not so much. Poor Hannah had to get a shot :( Then she proceeded to scold the nurse who administered the shot! As soon as the nurse left the room, Hannah (still bawling at the time) starting wagging her index finger in the direction of the nurse who had just left the room. BAD BAD BAD NURSE! HURT MY LEG! DON'T COME BACK!

What were her growth stats, you ask? She is still on the same growth curve:
She is in the 10th percentile for weight (weighing in at 21 lbs 9 oz) meaning she needs some more Cheetos!!! Poor starving child;
25th percentile for height (measuring in at 31 inches);
and her head? Yep, still off the charts!!! (measuring at a whopping 51.5 cm--well above the normal curve! It's gotta be her brains! Just has to be! It is a wonder she does not fall over. Poor kid. But she looks proportionate. If you went by what the growth chart percentiles say, you'd assume she might resemble a short lollipop! But I assure you, she does not look like a lollipop at all:) Except for being incredibly sweet, of course! She is just adorable and healthy :)


We love her no matter what some silly chart says. She is absolutely perfect :)

No comments: