Saturday, December 6, 2008

We love you and will never forget you PopPop

This will be brief. I like to think of this blog as my happy place. But something very important must be shared here. . .

My dad/Hannah's beloved Pop Pop passed away peacefully at home on Sunday November 23rd after a tough and very brave battle with esophageal and stomach cancer. He was surrounded by his loving family 24/7 in his final days, and we are all grateful that he is no longer suffering. As hard as it was to see him like that, I am so glad that I got to be there with him. I took photos of my sisters, my mom, my Aunt Carol (my dad's sister) and me holding his hand the night before he passed away. I am so glad that I did. His hands were still so familiar and warm, even though they were much smaller than they used to be. . .I don't ever want to forget how strong they still felt even though his body was failing him. I concentrated on his hands for hours as I sat next to him. I will share those photos here as well as some other special ones from before he got sick. . .

I am sad that Hannah will not get to grow up with her PopPop around, but he will forever be an important part of her life. I can promise my dad and Hannah. We will keep his memory alive through photographs, videos, and special stories we will tell her about him :)

We love you and miss you Dad/Pop Pop.

Here's a short trip down memory lane--mostly photos of my dad with Hannah. I wish I had more. . .and a few other favorites of mine.

My wedding day--July 1996

Summer 1993--This was taken at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan.

Summer 2007 at my cousin Mary's wedding. I wasn't able to attend, but this is one of my favorite photos of my dad.

First time my dad met Hannah :) Early October 2007




This one is for Hannah! Here's PopPop holding one of her favorite creatures on earth. . .a "der-dell" :)



Me and my dad 1976


My dad teaching me to ride a tricycle. Too bad I couldn't reach the peddles! Luckily he was there to push me around :)

I was about Hannah's age in this photo :)



September/October 2008--about a month after my dad's diagnosis, I took Hannah to spend some quality time with him. She adores her PopPop and affectionately repeates his name regularly, in a gentle whisper. To this day, she still whispers his name and smiles when she sees photos of him on the slideshow/screensaver on my laptop :) It's adorable.
Here we are listening to opera music before bedtime during our visit in October. Hannah LOVED it! I think PopPop was proud because she liked it loud, just like him :)



South Haven Beach--One of my dad's favorite places
I am so glad that we were able to get him to go there one last time. It was a very memorable and special day for us all.








End of October 2007--Hannah's Baptism weekend (Arizona)








Hannah's 1st trip to Chicago to meet her beloved PopPop :) (October 2007)
(sorry, some of these are out of order, you already saw a couple photos from this weekend earlier, but I wanted to include all of them)









Lastly. . .
A Very Special Set of Photos depicting all the loving hands that cared for my dad during his last days. These were taken the day before he passed away. . .

My sister Cassandra praying the Rosary with my Dad
Everyone took turns holding his hands:

My Aunt Carol (my Dad's sister)


Me


My sister Kim


My mom


My sister Cassan


This is one of my very favorite photos of my mom and dad now. . .this photo was also taken the day before he passed away and I think it says a thousand words without saying anything at all. Their love fills this picture.

Here's a link to the article that was written about my Dad in the Chicago Tribune after he passed away :) We were all so pleased that he was recognized in such a special way :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm crying looking through these. Your tribute is so wonderful. I didn't do much on my blog, but I think after seeing this, that I will. Can you put the pictures from the last days on Kodak or Shutterfly so I can get them? Thanks! Love, Kim

Chris, Kristen and Reese said...

What wonderful pictures. That is very special that you captured those last days. You and your family are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Terr, I'm finally permitting myself to take time looking at blogs and other things. Your tribute to your Dad is beautiful and the photos so precious.
Marcia