Saturday, April 3, 2010

Funny conversations with an *almost* 3 year old


Our precious gift from God :)




Hannah dancing in her "toot-toot"



Old popcorn:
Hannah found a really old "tasty" popcorn kernal in the cushion of daddy's chair. . .
Hannah: "Whats this?"
Me: "Don't eat that! It's old popcorn. We don't eat old popcorn"
Hannah: "Just old people eat it?"
Me: (laughing)
Hannah: . . .and puppies!" and she proceeded to find Koda to give her the piece of popcorn, since there were no old people around to feed it to :)


Help:

After daddy brought cotton candy home one evening, Hannah was all excited! Of course, she wanted to eat ALL of it right away. The horrible mommy that I am, I told her she had to wait until after dinner to eat her special treat. Well, that did not make any sense to her, of course. She promptly tried to tell me she was not hungry for dinner!
"That's too bad, because I guess you don't have any room in your tummy for cotton candy, either!"
Well, that was not the response she was looking for. . .so she tried another ploy to get the candy "I just eat the 'cot-and-candy' and THEN eat my dinner, OK?"
Me: "No, it does not work that way. Sorry."

So I put the 'cot-and-candy' on the kitchen counter, towards the back of the counter where it was out of her reach.

A few minutes later, Hannah was observed pushing her little Elmo chair over to the kitchen, stopping just under the counter by the treat. All was quiet for a moment (apparently while she tried to reach the treat with her short little arms, perched upon her "step stool"). . .then she walked up to me and asked:

"Mama, I need help. You find me something so I reach my 'cot-and-candy'?"

Well, I gave her points for sharing her plot with me and for asking for help in breaking my rule! I wish it were always this easy to find out when your child was about to go against your wishes. . .but something tells me this will wear off before she becomes a teenager and she will not be asking me to help her sneak out of the house or help her sneak the car out for a joy ride! :)


Dinner time!

Me: "Here Hannah, I made you some tomato soup."

Hannah: "I don't want tomato soup"

Me: "But you love tomato soup!"

Hannah: "No, I don't like tomato soup."

Me: "Oh, I didn't say TOMATO soup, I said MATER soup! It is Mater's favorite soup! He gave me the recipe, and he told me he wants you to try it."

Hannah: "Mater soup? Oh! I love Mater soup, Mama! I want some."

So, I served her a cup of it, and she polished it off like it was the best soup she ever ate! Complete with commentary about how yummy iy is, and how Mater loves this soup, etc. When she finished, she said: "I finished my Mater soup, mama. Mater and Lightening McQueen be so proud of me!"


Our Gift from God

Hannah: "Mama, who brought me?" (PANIC! I was not at all prepared for such a deep question from Hannah. Not yet! Her way of thinking just amazes me sometimes).

Me: "God picked you out, special just for Mama and Daddy, and then you grew in my tummy"

She seemed satisfied with that answer. Phew! But then she was more curious, and started asking about other people/things, too. Who brought you? daddy? Koda? Howie? the nightstand? her jammies? etc. LOL I hope I properly explained that unlike people and animals night stands and jammies do not have mommy's, and they do not grow in anyone's tummy. LOL


Flowery toots:

Me: "Hannah, I bought you a pretty tu-tu to wear! It's pink with flowers."
Hannah: "where is it?"
Me: "I hung it in your closet"
Hannah: "Oh. You bought me a toot toot? You hung a toot toot in my closet"
She looked REALLY puzzled. . .
So, I explained what a tu-tu was, and explained that it was not a TOOT! LOL


Dreaming:

Hannah was sound asleep the other morning, and we went to check on her before we left for work. . .
Hannah in her sleep: "Happy Birthday, Big Bird"
Awwwww. What a sweet dream she must've been having! It was like we had a window into her cute little dream world at that moment. Awesome.


Pickin' her battles:

I caught Hannah picking her nose at the dinner table while we were all out with friends at a restaurant. I gently pulled her finger out of her nostril and informed her that we don't pick our nose, especially not at the table! A few seconds later, her finger was back in her nose again. I told her again, to please stop picking her nose at the table, explaining that it isn't polite, our friends are trying to eat and don't want to be grossed out, etc. She appeared to be deep in thought for a moment, then matter of factly informed me that: "I ready to go to the car now. I all done with dinner, I just need to go pick my nose in the car."
Well, at least she was thinking about an alternative place to pick her nose in private. . .people do it "in private" at stoplights all the time! And in case you were wondering, NO, I did not take her to the car to pick her boogies.

I love you:

Before bed the other night, I said my usual good night phrases to Hannah, fully expecting to hear her usual responses back to me! But instead I got this:
Me: "Good night Hannah. Have a good sleep. I love you."
Hannah: "I love Grandpa"
Oh well, I guess I rated second that evening . . . But it is really good to know! :)


Funny/cute words and phrases:

"Beasty-bear"=the Beast from Beauty and the Beast

"little Miss Muffin, sat on tuffet, eating her turds. 'long came a fider, and said 'Hey! What's in the bowl?'"

Ask Hannah to spell STOP and she will spell it like this: "S-like a snake-T-O-Peach!" She recites the letter P as Peach! Too cute

policemen: "please men" Hmmmm. . .I guess those are the guys who make sure you are being polite!?!? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these! I wish I had done that for my girls - you think you'll remember, but you won't. I will have to do this for Kaitlin when she starts talking!

-Kim