Thursday, October 2, 2008

Over the River and Through the Woods. . .

To Grandmother's House We Goooooo. . .

Feels like we just got back from Michigan, and I am already preparing to leave again! Wait. . .that's because we DID just get back!

We left last wednesday AM and got home on Sunday night. . .and we are leaving again on Saturday!

Phew!

Since my dad, Hannah's beloved Pop pop, is not feeling well, we are visiting as much as possible to cheer him up. (see his CaringBridge site link over to the right if you don't know what I am talking about--I'd rather not discuss sad things in here)

So, we flew into Chicago and spent the night at the Kollman's house (see the next blog entry for more on that), and left in the AM for Michigan to see my parents. It was Hannah's first trip without daddy! :( Daddy was very sad to see us go and very happy to see us when we got back!

Michigan was fun! Even though my dad is very sick, we were still able to take him out onto the breakwater in South Haven one day. It was a BEAUTIFUL day! He seemed to really enjoy it, and so did we! Hannah especially loved playing by the lighthouse and watching all the boats go by. She is NOT a fan of sand though. We're going to need to work on that one! Her mommy is a beach lover! I can't have a daughter who screams when her feet touch the sand. . .no way! I'm hoping that when we go back and her cousins are there, she will see them happily playing on the beach and want to join in. PEER PRESSURE! Sometimes it is a GOOD thing. . . We'll see.

Highlights of the trip for Hannah was the lighthouse; enjoying an ice cream cone on the beach(complete with some sand as a delicious "natural" crunchy topping thanks to mommy's clumsiness); a few trips to Wal-Mart; a fun AM at a really cool park; watching the dogs run around in their pen in the front yard; going for walks in the woods; playing with Memah's spice rack (taking out all the spice jars and putting them back into the slots in different arrangements); listening to opera with Pop pop; eating cherry shaved ices and a Frosty with Pop pop; refusing to take a nap (fun for HER, not for mommy and anyone with ears within a 10 mile radius) and so on.

Michigan is so beautiful! I can't wait to go back in 2 days :)





Hannah was having a ball rearranging all the gravel on my parents' driveway. . .
While we were waiting for Ed to arrive to take us back to Chicago, we played outside, and she kept picking up handfuls of rocks and taking them to other locations around the property. My kid is easily amused.
Oh, and she only tried to eat the rocks ONCE! I guess we all gotta try Michigan rocks at least once. . .from her reaction, I get the feeling that they taste just as "good" Arizona rocks. NOT GOOD! (I'd be worried if she LIKED it, so that's a good thing) If you were worried that she was hungry, don't worry because Ed took us out for a much better meal on the way home.






Hannah's first time playing on the slide! She LOVED it! She giggled every time I slid down with her.
Hannah loved the swing too



In addition to being VERY close to Lake Michigan, my parents' property is surrounded by little lakes within a short walking distance. The leaves were just starting to turn. It is absolutley beautiful up there :)



When Hannah and I arrived, my Aunt Jane was still there! So we got to spend some time with her. It was very nice to see her and introduce her to Hannah.
Listening to Opera with Pop Pop before bedtime.

Mmmmmmm. Ice cream! One of Hannah's favorite treats. Too bad I dropped it in the sand right after I bought it. . .but after a few wipes with some napkins, it was as good as new. . .well sort of. It still had a bit of a crunch factor, but she didn't seem to mind!
Ummmmm. Yeah. My mom the miner! (she wears it outside at night if she has to go out to take garbage out or tend to the dogs--it is very dark when you live in the middle of the woods!) You never know when you might fall into an old mine shaft. . .so if she does, she is all prepared!
My mom and dad at the end of the breakwater
Me and my shorty heading to the water to dip our toes in! (she refused to walk on the sand)

Hey! Gimme the camera!
HEY, Bucko! Don't mess with me, or I'll bite your ankles!

Laughing at her mommy. . .she does that a lot! I am cherishing these days now, because I know 10 years from now it'll be replaced with eye-rolling and disgust :)
SUPERBABY!!! I make sure she eats her organic cheerios, protein, fruits, veggies, *ice cream and cheesies* and of course drink her milk! Looks like it paid off. She can bend steel!
Three generations


She had the best time playing at the base of the lighthouse and yelling at the boats :)

Breakdancin' baby on the breakwater. . .Too bad she didn't set out a hat to collect change from people passing by! We were just walking along, and all of a sudden she got the urge to bust a move and spin around like that! It was hilarious!

Her fav sunglasses. I got them for her at Wal-Mart shortly after we arrived there--the best $2 I spent in a long time! She wore them almost the whole time were there. Too bad she won't wear them HERE. . .



Two videos of random cuteness!
The second one has Hannah trying to talk to the seagulls (she sounds a lot like them!), and then crying when I tried to put her down in the sand.
The first one is her interview at the lighthouse. Tune in because FASCINATING facts are revealed! Like, she is in fact in Michigan. She's having a good time, etc. :)



No comments: