Thursday, June 11, 2009

Catching up on the small stuff

This blog entry (which I am embarrassed to say I started a month ago!) is just a pile of stuff I wanted to mention, but didn't necessarily need blogs of their own. . .

Hannah is talking up a storm. I can't possibly keep up with all of her new words. Amazing how fast she picks them up, as she picks up new words every day. She is a little parrot. Just a few of the funny/cute words that I want to remember:

Chips: "Beeps" (now she is saying "ships" or "chips" but we still like to call them BEEPS b/c it is too cute to stop!)
Bert (of the Bert and Ernie fame): "Burp" (that lasted a couple weeks, and now it is "Bert")
Kermit: Permit
Fanny: Feenie
Muppets: Mumpoms
Sweetums: Fweemees or Fweemums
Swimming: Fwimmin! (this weekend she started saying "shwimmin" so we're getting closer!)
Illinois: Ohnoy
Mississippi: Bippybibby or Bippysippy
Chicago: Cah-go
Chicken: chin-chin

Kitty: Yahyah! She called Howie and all other cats "Yahyah" since she was about 12 months old. And only recently did she start trying to say kitty. However, her attempt at saying kitty sounds like the ever so lovely word "titty" YIKES! Between that and her word for SIT, and we have a serious problem when my baby speaks in public :) She is loads of fun and incredibly adorable, so I'm sure people don't think much of it.

Hannah likes to tell me things are pretty ("Oh! Pwitty!") :) I especially like it when I get dressed and emerge from my closet all decked out in whatever lovely outfit I've picked out for the day, and she runs up, points to me and says that :) But she also says that about things we see on walks, pictures of flowers, and things we see at the store (which is usually followed closely by "I wahn one!" Of course.

Hannah loves to hide, whether it is around a corner, under a towel or blanket, behind the dog, or in plain sight! Giggles galore erupt when she reveals herself! Hours of fun :)
Hannah has an obsession with stickers and band-aids. She can go through a whole box of band-aids in one evening. (this is quite evident in "The Infirmary" blog post) They are strategically placed in a well thought out pattern. She asks for certain characters for certain made-up boo-boos!

1st sentence (2 or 3 months ago): I want Abbey band-aid on my face: "I wahn Abbey bannay on my face!"

Prior to this, her "sentences" consisted mostly of "I want _____" :) Let me tell you, this kid wants a lot of things! Including the tips in the tip jar at Starbucks. . .I thank her grandpa for teaching her the "value" of money and how fun it is to put in her piggy bank! Now whenever she sees a dollar (or five or ten or twenty!) she exclaims "I WAHN ONE!!!" Sometimes it is followed by a "Peeees" (please), but usually not. We're working on the Ps and Qs right now. She is good about the pleases. . .sometimes, but thank yous almost always need reminders and even then sometimes I get the "are you kidding me???" look when I tell her to say thank you. *sigh* I will have a polite little girl. I will!

We started short time outs a few weeks ago since she decided a new favorite pastime is slapping her daddy across the face. I KNOW! What happened to our innocent little angel? Oh yeah. She turned TWO! I forgot. She has yet to do it to me, though. I think she just gets worked up and does it without meaning any harm. But it is a behavior that needs to be controlled nonetheless. (I'm happy to report that since I started writing this entry a couple weeks ago, the novelty of beating up her daddy has worn off. . .she's onto doing other naughty time-out-worthy things! What a relief. . .er. . .ummmm. . .I'm glad she is not abusing her daddy anymore. Now lets work on listening to mommy when she tells her to stop body slamming the dog on the bed, running by the pool, and running away from me in the store!
*update, since starting this blog entry last month, she stopped slapping her daddy! Now she is on to kicking her mommy in the face when I am trying to change her diaper before bed and get her jammies on--she thinks it is HILARIOUS! Me? Not so much*

Lately, when she is naughty and not listening to me, I will ask her "Do you want to go in a time out?" She used to say "No" in a sad little voice, and immediately listen to me to avoid a time out. But for some reason, she has started giggling and says "YES!" As if time outs are suddenly great FUN!!! She will even run over to her time out spot with a HUGE grin on her face! Then she will start calling for me to let her out of time out! As if I had put her there against her will. She won't come out until I tell her it is OK. HA HA It is too funny! Hey, makes life easier! What a WEIRD kid! This is the same kid who loves to take her vitamins, acts like an angel in restaurants and the grocery store. So that's a number of battles most moms have to endure, that I don't. But before you think I have it too easy, I'll tell you it is nearly impossible to get the kid to eat veggies! (shhhh! don't tell her I hide them in stuff she likes) Anyway, back to time-outs. . . after every time out, she comes over to me or daddy (whoever she didn't listen to, and says "soddy" and gives a big hug and/or kiss to make up for it. It is precious :) Almost makes putting her in a time out rewarding for us! But alas, she does not get many time outs. She is two, but she is certainly not in the dreaded terrible-twos stage by any means! (Yes, I am counting my blessings and knocking on wood)

Another new pretend game she started lately is getting ready to go to "wort" (work). She promptly grabs her purse, slings it over her shoulder, and grabs a random (although it is probably well planned and thought out to her!) toys under her arms and off she goes! She either hops on her tricycle and asks me to pull her, telling me she needs to get to work, or she heads for the front door! She gets mad when the door is locked and she can't get out. She doesn't want to be late ya' know! I wonder where she would go if I unlocked the door? Just where does she think "work" is, anyway?

Hannah has started making me meals in her little kitchen, too :) It is so cute! She prepares the meal, puts it in the oven in her little play kitchen, sets the timer, circles her arm and hand in the air and exclaims "round and round and round" (clearly indicating I need to use the REAL oven more often and not the microwave so she will learn what REAL cooking is *blushing*); takes it out, stirs it, puts sauce ("sosh") on it, then tells me it is HOT HOT as she hands it to me. I gladly blow on it to cool it off, take a bite of it, then offer her some. She finds great delight in this game. I get at least 10-20 meals each time we play this game. I am well fed in pretend land :) Good thing play food has ZERO calories :)

Hannah listens to the same song over and over and over again while in the car. Sugarland, "All I want to do" As soon as she gets strapped into her car seat, she chants "ooo ooo ooo" "ooo ooo ooo" "ON!" over and over again. *sigh* I have that song memorized now. But she loves it and it keeps her happy, so I am willing to endure the repetition.

Hannah LOVES to go with me to the store ("sdore"). She is a very good shopper and I don't mind at all. . .even when I find the random Elmo video or toddler treat in the cart that I am CERTAIN was not placed in there by MY hands! ha ha I have a hunch that her joy in going to the grocery store could have a little something to do with the tradition of getting a cookie from the bakery ladies. . . Yes, much to my mom's horror, I DO let my kid eat cookies! And no, they are not really crackers, as my mom had convinced me when I was a young child. I was so naive. Clearly I was deprived. I always wondered why cookie monster was so crazy over bland ol' cookies!!! That's because I was being fed crackers and told they were cookies!

OH! POTTY TRAINING! She is doing pretty well with the pee pees on the potty. The other, not so much. But that's OK! We were not really even doing anything to train her, and she just decided to start going on the potty all on her own! We introduced the potty to her months ago, and just kind of talk about it, show it to her, let her sit on it, etc. I started putting it in the main area of the house where she plays, and that seemed to spark her interest! (well, that and the plethora of M&Ms she gets for going on the potty of course!) She still won't go in public restrooms, and there are certain times of day or even a whole day here and there when she wants nothing to do with it. But she definitely understands when she is going and when she needs to sit on the potty, and she can hold it! It is easier to let her run around with no diaper and pants on when we are home. She has NO accidents when we do that! It is amazing! But alas, we can't have her running around with no pants on for the rest of her life, so we are still working on fine tuning her potty skills. We will continue working on it in the coming weeks/months. Hopefully she will be totally diaper-free soon!

Oh, there is soooo much more! I will have to do a Part II next month :) I have probably bored some of you to sleep already :)

OK, every blog entry needs some photos, so here we go!

It's that time of year again! Crazy times by the pool with Takoda :) Hannah LOVES to swim. She would live in our pool if we let her :)


YAY!! Time to go "fwimmin"!!!
Yep, I still like to be locked in a cage with the pups at Granny's house. It is our secret club house where we can munch on dog biscuits :) YUM!


Sure! It is cute. Butt (hee hee), it is time for mommy to invest in some swim diapers, don't you think???



Mmmm! Popsicles in the pool! I love it! So does mama. Fast and easy clean up ;)

I'm just too cute :)

Taking my loon for a stroll around the neighborhood.
Stopping to smell the "pwitty fowers"
I love fwimmin with daddy :)

On my way to "wort" (work)! I have my purse all ready, and I'm searching for my keys. . .now where did I put those??




Ummm. Just FIVE more band-aids, please! I have a few places where I can still see skin. I'm not properly covered yet! Oh, and don't forget to give my pal Grover a couple, too.
These stickers are kind of fun to use too. But I still prefer the band-aids. . .
Sticker-Face Madness!!!

1 comment:

Mary-Ann said...

Gosh, she is too cute and funny! I'm giggling over here!