Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"I Shit" in public

Yes, that's right.  My cute little innocent girl, can be seen and heard yelling "I shit" at a store near you!  Yes!  You too can share in the delight of hearing Hannah exclaim such things if you follow her on any given day. . .

Before you freak out and think I've been teaching my daughter naughty words, read on!  She is really saying SIT, but for some reason, she wants to add an "H" after the "S".  I'll tell you about our little adventure the other day. . .

I took Hannah with me to Ann Taylor Loft to buy a dress, and she discovered a mannequin sitting on a display that was just the perfect height! So she climbed up next to "her" and repeatedly exclaimed in a very loud and "un-Library-ish" voice. . ."I SHIT ! I SHIT! MAMA! I SHIT!" It is wonderful that she can share her happiness and delight with much enthusiasm! But OH MY!!! I kept trying to distract her, trying desperately to redirect her interest to the lovely clothes I wanted to look at, but she was having more fun "shitting" next to her new friend :) Maybe I could pretend she isn't mine? Sure! She was some other poor mom's potty mouth kid! But alas, I could never do that. I'm too attached to her. So, I just calmly looked through the clothes within an arm's reach of her hoping the novelty of sitting next to a mannequin would wear off and she would get excited about something else that sounds nothing like a swear word! But, alas, I eventually exhausted all my options in the near vicinity of Hannah and her new friend, and I needed to pull her away. . .she was very upset with me! That led to crying and begging me to let her "shit" some more! "MAMA! I SHIT! MAMA, I SHIT THERE! NO MAMA, I SHIT!  PEEEEESE!" I kid you not, I had everyone in the store looking at me, and probably wondering if I needed to take my daughter to the nearest changing station to change her diaper! (But her diaper was clean! I swear!) Or perhaps they were wondering why I was such an awful parent and letting my daughter swear like a truck driver! So, I kept gently and kindly correcting her, telling her I know she wants to SIT over there, but we had other things to do, blah blah blah. I made sure to emphasize the word SIT as I passed people.

Good times. Good times.

Lucky me, that wasn't the first time Hannah had fun "shitting" in public and I was left feeling like I had to explain myself, either! She did it at the JCPenney Portrait Studio, too. They had an adorable wooden bug chair near the register, and she was THRILLED to get to sit in it while I waited my turn in line to pick up her portraits :) So, she made sure to let me know each second that she was "shitting" on said chair and having a good time! The lady at the register was looking puzzled, so I eventually explained that she was saying SIT, not "shit". Yikes!  I don't think she believed me. . .

Oh well! What can I say? My kid is easily amused, and sometimes, she likes to SIT down in places that she finds incredibly amusing and fun! So, naturally, she wants to let the whole world know it and share in her joy and new discoveries :)

So what if Hannah liks to "shit" in public!?!?!

**On a related note, she discovered that mannequins have feet and hands, and had to point them all out to me at the store. She even walked up to one mannequin and gently reached up and held her hand for a moment, and smiled at me. It was so cute.


Here's a video of Hannah "shitting" in her new bug chair and blowing bubbles (a new favorite activity. . .we just need to work on her technique a bit).  For every successful bubble blow, we have at least one or two incidents of eating the bubble juice or inhaling it :)  After the gasping and coughing subsides, and she stops gagging on the awful taste, she will try again!  She is a good sport.  (In case you were wondering: NO, despite what the cartoons depict, she does NOT burp or hiccup bubbles after eating the soapy bubble concoction.)

ENJOY!

No comments: