Friday, May 16, 2008

Once upon a time. . .



Well, we must start somewhere, so why not start my trip down photo memory lane with a belly shot of Hannah inside :)
A few short weeks later, Hannah made her debut 2 weeks before her due date, and one week prior to her scheduled c-section. She wanted to come on her own terms, and mommy was actually really happy about that!
I will post the birth story that I wrote shortly after she was born, later. I never edited it, so it is not perfect. But it is a wonderful story--to me :)






Hannah Glenn Messmer
5/7/2007
It all started on Sunday night, May 6, 2007, just after I went to bed. It was about 8:30 pm and I could not sleep. I was feeling cramps, I timed them for about an hour, but they were not in any pattern, so I was not thinking it was labor. Earlier in the day, I had commented to daddy that Takoda was super clingy that weekend, and would not leave my side. She had to be laying next to me with her head laying on me at all times. I told your daddy that there is an old wives tale that dogs can sense when labor is near! But then dismissed it, and qualified that it could mean labor is near, but not imminent. Afterall, I was still two weeks from your due date, and one week from your scheduled c-section delivery date. So, I tried to sleep through the cramps, but I was very uncomfortable. I got up to empty my bladder thinking that might make me feel better. I was surprised to see pink on the toilet paper, which means there was some blood somewhere! I immediately called the on-call doctor at the hospital, and was assured that since my cramps were not in a pattern, my water had not broken, etc. that it was probably just my mucus plug starting to disintegrate. I hung up not feeling very well assured, but willing to go back to bed. I decided to pee again, just to make sure that my bladder was empty before going to sleep (after all, I had been getting up to pee a hundred times a night for a few months by then!) This time, there was blood in the toiler too. I called the doctor again, and she said she thought it might mean my water was breaking, so go to the hospital!

I called grandma and grandpa, and told them we needed to go the hospital. They hopped in the Jeep and rushed over here. Everyone was convinced that I was going to be coming home with a baby that night! But I kept saying, that there is a possibility that I was not in labor yet. I just could not believe it! We arrived at the hospital and grandpa dropped us off at the door. We checked in at Labor and Delivery. I was the only person there in the labor and delivery triage/monitoring room. The nurse immediately hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor and contraction monitor. Your daddy and I listened to your precious little heart beating. The monitor was picking up contractions every 3-4 minutes, but they were not intense contractions, just painful Braxton hicks type contractions I’d been feeling for weeks. . .even months prior! A urine test revealed a bladder infection. So the on-call doctor thought the cramps could have been caused by that. However, I did have increased blood pressure, and protein in my urine. My cervix was dilated at 1 ½ and I was 50% effaced. Not enough to say I was in labor. So, they held me there to monitor my blood pressure and to recheck my cervix every hour to see if it was changing.

I was monitored for about three hours. During that time, my Braxton hicks had increased in intensity, and I was in a lot of pain. My blood pressure was not dangerously high, the protein in my urine was not significantly high, and my cervix was not changing. . .so the doctor was sending me home. I was very upset. My pain was increased and I was scared I would not know when real labor was starting given the frequency of my contractions. The doctor gave me a shot of Morphine to take the edge off of the contraction pain so I could rest at home. I was released with prescriptions for an antibiotic and pain medication. I was also given a 24 hour urine collection container to monitor the protein in my urine. The nurse told me she was certain I was going to not have a chance to finish the collection, as she was expecting to see me back at the hospital later that day! (By now it was almost 3 o’clock in the morning) I was very scared and very upset that I was being released in my condition.

We filled the prescriptions on the way home. As soon as I got home, I ate some crackers and drank some juice so I could take the antibiotic. I went to bed at about 4 o’clock in the morning, still feeling my contractions. The morphine took the edge off the pain, but I could still feel them coming and going on a regular basis. I was not able to sleep. At 7:20am, I felt something trickling out of me. My first thought was, “was that my water breaking?” No, it couldn’t be! A little more trickled. Then I thought, it must be my mucus plug coming out. So I got up to use the bathroom, and when I stood up, a gush of water soaked my pajamas! My water was breaking!!! I calmly headed to the bathroom to see what was happening. More water leaked on the way. I woke up daddy to tell him my water was breaking, called the doctor, and was told to return to the hospital right away. My water kept leaking as I tried to get ready, and helped your daddy get ready. I had to change my outfit 3 or 4 times in the process because I kept soaking my pants and underwear! Even with the use of super absorbent overnight pads that I bought for after labor, I was soaking my clothes repeatedly! How much amniotic fluid is there in me anyway? I finally started walking around with a towel around me instead, waiting until the last possible moment to get dressed. I still had a few things to pack for the hospital, but did not get to all of it. It was OK, I had almost everything.

Grandpa drove us to the hospital. He dropped daddy and I off at the front door, and we walked in. I kept hoping I would not leak all over the floor on the way. We checked in, and I was sent to the triage/monitoring room again. This time, there were other women in there too. I was hooked up to the monitors again. I enjoyed listening to your heartbeat. My cervix was checked, but it had not changed at all!!! I was so surprised! But the tests revealed that my water did in fact break. I was officially in labor!!!!!! I was having my precious baby girl TODAY! May 7, 2007. I got to experience going into labor afterall!

As I lay in the bed, my contractions were getting stronger and more intense. Wheels were in motion to get the c-section scheduled. The only problem was, I had eaten those darn crackers and drank the juice at 5am, so I was going to have to wait until 1pm for the c-section. I needed an empty stomach. The nurse brought Matt some scrubs to change into to get ready for the surgery in case we needed to go earlier for some reason. Matt’s dad came to help Matt get them on, and then brought him back to me. I thought he looked so handsome in the scrubs!

1pm seemed like an eternity! I was in a lot of pain, and the contractions were getting unbearable. Your daddy held onto me and talked to me to help me through them. The epidural was ordered to be started once they were able to get me into a room. As we waited for the room the anesthesiologist came in to discuss everything. I had to explain my condition in detail in order to make sure I was safe during the surgery. Eventually, the head anesthesiologist came to speak to me as well. They were going to be covering all the bases and ensuring my safety and yours.

Finally a labor and delivery room was available. Privacy! Now grandma and grandpa could be there with us too. The room was really nice. If I had been having a vaginal delivery, it would have occurred in that very room. But since I was having a c-section, I was going to only be in there until the surgery, then transferred to recovery, and then to a private post delivery room. I stared at the equipment and bassinet that were there waiting for a delivery, and I tried to imagine what it would be like to see our baby laying in there. It was surreal. I could not believe I was really in labor! I could not believe that we were having our baby in a matter of hours. . .you were on your way!

While we waited for the epidural, I laid in bed listening to your little heart beat. It was the one thing that kept me calm throughout this whole process. It gave me reassurance that you were healthy. Finally the anesthesiologists arrived for the epidural. I was really nervous! I was so scared it would be painful. I am glad that I did not look at the needle! DH said it was not a pretty sight. At first, they could not get the epidural to go in correctly, it kept hitting bone or calcium deposits. I was getting worried that it would never work! My contractions were unbearable, and it was so hard to keep still during contractions. The epidural was finally in, and I could not wait for relief. I laid back and waited. At first one leg got numb, but the other was lagging behind. I was worried it was in the wrong place, but it was not. The lopsided numbness was fixed by repositioning my body. My right side eventually caught up to my left side. I was comfortable! I could no longer feel the contractions. We still had about an hour left before they could do the c-section, so I just spent time with Matt.

Doctors came and went, some stayed to chat a while. Everyone was so nice to us. Finally, Dr. Mitchell came in and let us know it was almost time! We were on our way to meeting Hannah! I was so excited! But I was nervous at the same time. I was about to undergo surgery while awake and even though I had been through multiple surgeries in the past, I was certainly not awake during any of them. And even though I had done my research and seen c-sections on television, I had no idea what to expect. I had no idea what it would feel like. As I was wheeled into the OR, I said a quick prayer to God, thanking him for our miracle, and asking him to please watch over and protect Hannah and me during the surgery and after. I prayed that Hannah would be healthy.

The OR was so cold! It seemed like there was a hundred doctors in there, all just for us! It made me feel safe. There were three surgeons, including Dr. Mitchell who was doing the majority of the c-section, one of her residents, and another surgeon. There were multiple anesthesiologists as well, including the head anesthesiologist. Dr. Felicia Birch, who I assume was a resident anesthesiologist, sat by my head through the whole surgery. Before they let daddy in the OR, she provided so much support to me. She could tell how nervous I was, and she helped calm my nerves. She was so very sweet.

Before beginning the surgery, Dr. Mitchell asked my permission to check my cervix as everyone was curious how far I had progressed with all of the hours of strong contractions I had been having. I was curious myself! So she checked me, and I had only progressed to 3 ½ cm!!! Thank goodness I was doing a c-section! I have a feeling it would have been a very looooong labor.

After all the preps were completed, daddy was allowed to come into the room and sit beside me. I felt instant relief as soon as daddy came in. Dr. Mitchell even commented on how amazing it is to see mommy’s heart rate decrease as soon as daddy showed upThe drape was up so I could not see what was happening, but Matt told me later that he was able to see the whole surgery in a reflection in one of the huge bright lights above the operating table. He watched the whole thing. I was impressed that he did not pass out!

The beginning of the surgery was not too bad. I was feeling pressure, but nothing too strange. I was comfortable- minus the nervousness of course! I just wanted everything to go perfectly. Then I heard Dr. Mitchell and another doctor talking about how the incision was difficult due to all the scar tissue I have from previous surgeries. The incision was not going to be a typical incision. I had no idea what that meant. As it turns out, it was nothing major, it just made the incision process much more difficult for the doctors, but it was nothing they could not handle.

Pretty soon it was time to deliver our precious Hannah! I was warned that I would feel intense pressure as they pushed you out, but nothing prepared me for what I was about to feel. It felt like someone had crawled inside of my abdomen and chest, and was pushing out through my chest. I started to panic a little. My body started to go into shock a little and I became incredibly nauseous. I warned the anesthesiologist that I might throw up, so she got a bin ready. Hannah was finally delivered! I did not hear her cry, but Dr. Mitchell exclaimed “Look at all that long, curly, dark hair!” I could not wait to get a glimpse of you! Matt was still by my side, holding my hand. Then a nurse brought you over to my side where I could get a look at you. But I could not see your face. I wanted so badly to hold you, but they whisked you away.

As soon as Dr. Mitchell told us that you were out, I started bawling ! I was soooo happy! It was as if all the heartaches of the years past were pouring out of me, and being replaced with happiness and love. Our daughter was here and she is healthy! The anesthesiologist grabbed my hand and held it tight. I told her that I had waited years for you, and I was so happy! I was hoping that I would get to touch you, but I got nauseous again, and I turned over to the anesthesiologist to let her know I was going to throw up now. I dry heaved many times, and I could not catch my breath. I started suffocating. I could not breath in for some reason, I started to panic. My instinct was to try to sit up, but obviously that is not a good idea when they are trying to sew me up! I heard Dr. Mitchell ordering someone to page another doctor around this time. I think they were having trouble getting my bleeding to stop. I heard the doctor order more meds in my IV, but I have n idea what they were. I was told they had to give a little local anesthesia. I felt so groggy and out of it. I suddenly realized that Matt was gone, and I got worried that I was in trouble and that they had to make him leave! But I was told that they took Matt to be with Hannah. I do not know if that was the real reason he had to leave or not. . .

The anesthesiologist started to raise the head of the OR table to help me breathe, but the doctors were not aware she was doing that, and everyone started yelling at her to stop. She had asked permission beforehand, and heard a doctor say OK, but the doctor was not talking to her, she was talking to someone else. After I was able to sit up a little bit, my breathing got better, and I was so relieved.

I heard Dr. Mitchell say something about finally everything was OK, and it was time to start sewing me up. She told me she was doing a plastic surgery closure, so I would have very minimal scaring. I thought that was pretty nice! But I had no idea just how nice that was until later when all the nurses who checked my incision in the days following commented on what a wonderful incision it was, and how I was going to be so happy with it. Everyone seemed so surprised that no staples were used. When I finally got to see the incision myself, I noticed that I could not even see any stitches! It truly is a beautiful incision! My laparoscopic scars were soooooo ugly compared to this! And obviously my c-section scar is MUCH bigger than those incisions.

Once my incision was closed, I was transferred to recovery. On the way, we passed my OB/surgeon, Dr. Mitchell, and I thanked her once again for taking good care of me and you. My eyes welled up with happy tears and I wanted t cry I was so grateful! My OB is truly one of the best doctors I have ever seen. I think the world of her; especially after this. She took such good care of you and me throughout the pregnancy and through the surgery.

Once in recovery, I FINALLY got to hold you! It was the best feeling. My daughter! Daddy watched over me as I held you and cried. The sparkle in his eyes is something I will never forget. We were finally a family. We waited so many years and endured so many heartaches to get to this day, and it was finally here. The happiest day of our lives. You are such a miracle.

The pain in my lower abdomen from the c-section was unbearable at first. They kept giving me more and more morphine, but it was not working. I was getting worried that the pain would never decrease. Then I got nauseous. More medication was given to me in my IV to help with the nausea. I finally started to feel better. But I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, no matter how hard I tried. Matt held my hand, showed me photos of your beautiful face that he took right after you were born, and that helped me get through the pain. The nurses in the recovery room let Matt’s parents come in for a quick peek at Hannah, even though usually they don’t let people do that. As soon as they saw her, they started crying. They were so happy! Of course that made me cry again, too. We were in recovery for about 3 ½ hours. Finally a private room was ready, and I was transferred. I was still so groggy and tired. My eyes would barely stay open the rest of the evening, even though I wanted to look at you and not take my eyes off of you ever! It felt so good to hold you. I never wanted to let you go!

I spent 4 days in the hospital. The first 2 days were really rough, but as time progressed, I got a little better. As much as it hurt, I did what the nurses told me to and got moving ASAP.

My favorite times with you in the hospital, were the early mornings when all was quiet, the sun was just starting to come up, and I had you laying peacefully in my arms.

I cried each time a Mother’s Day commercial came on the television. I just could not believe the deep love I felt in my heart and soul for this precious little girl in my arms. You are our dream come true. As I lay in my hospital bed each day, holding you, feeding you, staring at your beautiful face, stroking your silky soft hair, rubbing your back, playing with your adorable fingers and toes, I thanked God for you and felt like the luckiest mommy in the world. You are just so beautiful.
Here's Daddy's Version of the Birth Story :)
Hannah Glenn Messmer
By Daddy

On Sunday May 6, 2007, we went to church (watched on TV). Mama had not been feeling well all weekend; she was very tired. My good friend, Jay Marble was going to come over and bring his puppy Ruby, who is Takoda’s sister. I called Jay and told him Mama was not feeling well—so don’t come over. Mama and I rested and watched TV. During the day, we watched the Suns vs. Spurs game. Steve Nash hurt his nose in a collision with Tony Parker. They could not get Nash’s nose to stop bleeding and therefore, Nash could not play in the game for the last two minutes, and the Suns lost without him playing. During this time period, it was also announced that Roger Clemens had signed with the Yankees to pitch. He was choosing between the Yankees, the Red Sox and the Astros. This is interesting because Red Sox history is in our blood. (Carlton Fisk on the day I was born, October 22, 1975) We watched the Sopranos, then we went to bed. This was supposed to be our next to last weekend before you were scheduled to arrive.

Mama woke up between 9pm-10pm with pain and blood. We called the hospital and we were told to come in. We called grandma and grandpa and told them to come in and drive us to the hospital. It seemed like it took forever for them to get here, but it was actually quite quick.
We checked into the hospital and were put in the same bed/curtain area as Mama was in on her Easter visit. Mama had lots of contractions but her water did not break and she was only one and a half centimeters dilated. We were worried about what was going to happen but eventually they sent us home and told her to rest. They told us we may be back later the next day. We were mad that we had to go home. We went to the 24 hour Osco/CVS on Grant Rd. to get mom’s medicine and got home after 4:00am. I called work and left a message to tell them I would not be in that day.

I woke up around 6:40am to momma saying her water broke. I hurried to get ready to go back to the hospital. I had to look nice for your arrival! On the way to the hospital, grandpa Glenny was very nervous that you would come in the car! I called grandma and grandpa Clifton to tell them the baby was coming.

At the hospital, momma was put in a new curtain room. Nurse Linda was there for Momma and to check momma. Mama liked Linda! Ha ha The doctor gave the OK for the c-section, but it needed to be delayed because mama ate crackers at 5am with her medication, and she needed an empty stomach for the surgery. The doctors asked mama lots of questions about her disease, etc. and why a c-section. Grandma Clifton called the hospital to talk to mama—paged to the curtain area. Then grandpa Glenny had to help daddy get his scrubs on. The scrubs were blue, and I looked GREAT!

Soon they transferred us to our own labor and delivery room. Mama got an epidural. I watched. It was very disturbing and gross, but interesting. It helped mama with her pain. Soon she was feeling no pain!

Grandpa and grandma Messmer came in for a while. They took pictures of us. The resident doctor from New Mexico explained the c-section procedure, etc. I called Corky/Ed and left a message that you were coming out at 1:00pm. Mom and I watched television. The movie Fletch was on. Another good sign because this is one of daddy’s favorite movies. “I will have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich.”

Grandma and grandpa left the room when it was almost time to go. The nurses came and took mamma for preparation and I was all alone in the room. I was alone with my thoughts. I was a little worried because I wanted you here now to know that you were fine. I was taken out in the hallway and waited some more. A nurse helped me put my mask on my face. Finally they came to get me and took me to see your mamma in the operating room. Mamma was strapped to a table and looked scared. Mamma was happy to see me. The anesthesiologist, Felicia Birch, was very comforting to mamma. I held mamma’s hand and they began the surgery. They had a curtain up so we could not see the surgery and insides, but I noticed I could watch the surgery through the reflection in the big lights over the table. It was very interesting to watch and I couldn’t turn away. The surgery seemed to take a long time. Mamma was not feeling good but was very happy and nervous. Finally, they pulled you out and a little cry occurred. Someone said “what a cutie!” and “lots of hair!” They took you to another room and rushed me into that room. They cleaned you off a little and tried to get you to cough to expel the fluid from your lungs, but you were being stubborn and wouldn’t cough. They told me they were going to have to pinch you!

You were very alert and trying to figure out what was going on and where you were. I was so happy and could not take my eyes off of you. You were finally here and so beautiful. I saw them weigh you for the first time. The nurse then gave you to me to hold. I was very nervous I would drop you, but I used all my strength to hold you. I could not believe I was holding you. After a while I got tired so I spoke up and told the nurse.

We finally got to take you back into the operating room to show you to mommy. Mamma couldn’t see you very well because she was still tied down, but they did put you by her face. Mamma was so happy.

Soon they moved you and me to the recovery room and we waited for Mamma. I took pictures of you. You were still so wide awake and alert, and not crying. Soon mom came in and got to hold you. Mom was in a lot of pain, but was so happy to hold you. Soon, I asked the nurse to please allow grandma and grandpa to come in and see you. The nurse reluctantly agreed. Grandma and grandpa came in slowly. It had been so long I think that they were worried that something was wrong. When they saw you, they cried non-stop tears of joy. They were so happy to see you. They were rushed out soon after.

I text messaged all my friends about your arrival. Everyone wrote back and was happy. McCoy, Chrisman, Jess, Walt, etc. I was not supposed to use the cell phone but I snuck another call to the Cliftons. Then they took you away to get cleaned up and checked. Then mamma and I waited and waited and waited for a room to be cleaned and made available for mamma downstairs. We waited for hours! Mamma was in a lot of pain. She had lots of shots of morphine and finally felt a little better.

Around 4:30 pm-ish Walt, Jeremy, Monique and Elysa came to see us. They couldn’t find us because we were still in recovery. I got a text. Elysa was able to find us because she was a Doctor/Intern. She took me out to see them. They were able to look at you through the glass window of the nursery. I talked to them and then Elysa took me back to mamma. Then we waited until about 6:30-7:00pm. All that time waiting and not seeing you! We then got to the room and grandma and grandpa came to see mamma and you. Grandpa and grandma brought me pizza from the cafeteria. I was starving. Mamma was not starving. Mamma was out of it, but happy to hold you and love you. She called the Cliftons and fell asleep on the phone with them. Finally at 11:30pm, grandpa and I went home to sleep and take care of your dogs.
A long hard day, but the happiest day of my life. I will never forget it.

No comments: