Friday, July 3, 2009

Granny and Papa's SURPRISE 40th Anniversary party

A few weeks ago, we all celebrated Granny and Papa's 40th Anniversary with a fun party. I was trying to figure out how many 40 is, and I am pretty sure it is more than 2, but I don't know if I have enough fingers to count that all out. . .

We had the party at The Manning House. It is a historic mansion that they turned into a venue for conventions, parties, weddings, etc. The bartender lady told us it is HAUNTED!!! But they are good ghosts--children laughing and a man who just sits quietly. SPOOKY! But the ghosts did not make any appearances for the party.

Granny and Papa had NO CLUE we were planning the party. It is a good thing I can hold a secret! No amount of candy would've made me talk! (Well, I am safe to say that now since it is past and they never thought to ask me about a party in the weeks leading up to it) We pulled it off and they were sooooo surprised! They thought they were attending a 40th anniversary party for their friends. They received fake invitations and everything. We are so sneaky. Daddy's aunt Emmie (Mary Ellen) helped pull it all off. We couldn't have done it without her :)

Here's the really awesome cake my mommy designed! It is the courthouse where Granny and Papa got married :) (They had a church wedding shortly thereafter) The bride and groom are from their cake from their wedding day :) And that is a really cool car with fins that Papa had when he was a dork, I mean younger :)
*no, she didn't bake it. She is pretty awesome, but she is no cake decorator! Her cakes taste good, but they are really scary looking*



The room where we held the party. It was a beautiful setting for a really fun party.
The parlor/sitting room area outside of our party room.
the table settings

The cool collage mommy made for them :)
Here I am with great granny (old granny) :)
Here's the unsuspecting couple walking into the room, still having no clue the party is for them. . .probably beginning to wonder why EVERYONE is staring at them. . .
SURPRISE!!! Huh? What is this? What do you mean, "surprise"?
Hey Glenn, did YOU know about this?
Aaaawwww, aren't they cute? Such a beautiful couple! Wish they were my parents! They look like really fun and cool people! ;)



The Happy Couple
pretty fountain with floating candles in the middle of the party room
YUM! CAKE!


The Family




I had a blast running around the front lawn with the other kids!

Spinning!!!


"Hey there babycakes. . .would you care to have this dance with me?"
"Oh dear. Oh my! I just don't know if I should!"
"Oh, OK! I guess, just this one time! Tee hee hee"

Being goofy
Wearing Justin's tie :)



2 comments:

Chris, Kristen and Reese said...

Happy Anniversary Glenn and Kathy! That is so great you pulled off such a big surprise. Looks like a beautiful place!

corinne said...

oh, how fun! you designed that cake? awesome!

also - family resemblence is STRONG across the generations.