Monday, July 20, 2009

Monsoons are here!













As Hannah and I walked to the mailbox a few weeks ago (yes, I am hopelessly behind here still!), it was really windy and looked like it was going to start raining any minute! On the walk back to the house Hannah was enjoying the rain sprinkling on her face and arms. She was excited! By the time we made it to the front door, she was begging to stay outside. She didn't even mind the thunder! I was telling her how much I love thunder in hopes of avoiding her becoming afraid of it. It seemed to be working!

I convinced her to come inside but then I noticed the rain was really picking up outside, so I opened the blinds on the back doors so she could see better. She was obviously not content just watching the rain drops dance on the back patio while I had her imprisoned in the house! Hey, I appreciate a child's curiosity and desire to experience new things, so I unlocked the doors and out into the rain we went!

She stood in the rain a while, then exclaimed "A SHOWER!" ha ha I said "Yes, rain is how plants, trees, bunnies, and birdies take a shower" :) She kept laughing and saying she was taking a shower. It was adorable! She did not want to go back inside. She kept running back and forth, and talking about the rain and thunder ("funder" or "sunder") She was not at all afraid of the "funder" and I was really pleased about that. I don't want her to be scared of thunderstorms. Although, there was one thunder that caught us both off guard though, and she wanted to go inside after that. (got it on video) She just matter of factly said "inside" and headed towards the door after that one. ha ha But then as soon as we stepped foot inside, she wanted back out again! Her nervousness was short-lived I guess.

Monsoon season does not last long here. But at any given time you will find yourself being POURED on out of nowhere, and there's crazy wind, lightening, and thunder. . .and then just as soon as the rain rolled in, it rolls out and the sun is shining again! It is nuts! It is rare that we get rain that lasts all day long. So rain is a fun novelty around here. . .unless you are trying to drive in it! Nobody here seems to know how to drive in the rain. That is why they have the Stupid Motorists Law here! No joke! Basically, you pay for your own rescue/pay a fine if you are dumb enough to drive your vehicle around barricades and into the washes with rapid running water! Or if you are dumb enough to drive around barricades and drive under a viaduct with CLEAR markers of just how many feet deep the water is! Yes, it happens. FREQUENTLY! People don't learn and have NO common sense. You'll find them sitting on top of their car/truck/SUV under said viaducts; or floating down a wash! (by the way, in case you were wondering, a "wash" is a dry river that only rushes water when it rains)

Anyway, we had fun and look forward to a few more weeks of monsoon rains :) (I could really do without the humidity it brings though. YUCK!)


Video: Hannah enjoying "a shower" in the rain, enjoying the rain and thunder with a brief distraction by the discovery of some fascinating, "icky" birdie poop. Ahhhh, nature :)

I am very disappointed that for some reason, I am unable to upload the video of her saying "Hi!" to the thunder and doing more giggling and running than in this video. It was really cute :) I tried 10 times to get it on here and it wouldn't work :(

1 comment:

Chris, Kristen and Reese said...

Oh I love these pictures!!!! I so want to let Reese play out in the rain, but we haven't had any recently (at least not when it's been warm enough to play outside). I absolutely loved monsoons when I lived in AZ.